Saturday, December 26, 2009

Air France: No Bread, No Butter, No Cheese, now go back and sit down!!

It is the wee hours of Christmas morning 2009. I'm on my way home from the airport after a short visit to Paris. I'm angry and extremely upset for the umpteenth time I was at the receiving end of discrimination because of the colour of my skin, this time on my return flight on Air France to Bangalore (On 24th Dec 2009, AF 192 from Paris to Bangalore)!

It started off small, the first meal service was underway and as an afterthought the air hostess approached the passenger next to me asking if he had been served. On hearing that he had not they rushed a meal and I enquired if they would also serve me my mine. I distinctly remember that a special meal request had been specified during my booking and I assumed it would be available. A purser came back 10 min later saying the food was over and he would check. In a short while I was served the Hindu Vegetarian meal. Now a Hindu Vegetarian meal is not vegetarian as we would know and the main course contained a meat / fish product. I enquired with one of the air hostess and she sheepishly said she would check. After more waiting and still no response I got the attention of one of the other staff member and she too said she would check. She returned 20 min later to serve coffee and tea and when I enquired about my earlier query she snapped saying the food was over. Surprised and shocked by her response I headed from my seat to speak with the Chief Purser and was intercepted by another senior looking member. I hardly got the first two words of my request out and he started shouting that the meal service was over. He goes on to shout that I was neither his friend nor someone that he needs to entertain in a conversation. I was appalled but the skipped breakfast pushed me to enquire if they could serve bread and then I heard the weirdest answer - "we're out of bread, we're out of butter, we’re out of cheese, and we have no cracker for that matter we don't even have a biscuit. No go back and sit down". Passengers who were near this incident were shocked at the tone, volume and barrage. I was embarrassed, insulted and felt absolutely helpless – in a flight with more than 90 Indians of the 150 flying passengers!! Meekly I headed back to my seat hoping mad with fury but was sure an on board incident would do no good for anyone - me especially. The guy sitting next to me was shocked by the reaction I got. He waited till one more of the staff approached and this time he enquired if an extra bread roll could be served. The smiling purser confirmed it and was heading out to get it when the guy next to me said he was asking for it to be served to me. To which the purser responds,” He’s been served what he deserves and we don't have more bread on board".

It was then that it stuck me that the offer to serve bread was acceptable as long as it was not for me. So what was different, the passenger next to me was white and I was - BROWN!

The next 5:30 hours were not easy, I was furious, I was embarrassed but the scene created by the air line crew. So I thought if I was over reacting on the brown angle, maybe they thought I was rude. Why else would an airline crew refuse to serve an extra bread roll when obviously they had a lot of it in stock? But I was not rude, I also checked with the guy next to me if he thought anything I said could have been considered rude or inappropriate. I have been flying for many years now and know that meal mess ups are the most common of errors, especially when you ask for a vegetarian meal, so there was nothing to get rude or upset about as a passenger. Though every time there has been a problem the crew at least apologizes and makes arrangements for some bread, cheese and butter – but here knowing that was my request the crew member cleared specified that none of those were available. While the second meal service had the bread trays again – so obviously there was bread and they did not want to serve it! Maybe they were irritated that they were in a flight with coworkers and customers on Christmas eve, instead of being with family? But they chose to do the job, why take it out on a fare paying passenger. After going through many scenarios in my head I was convinced it was unfortunately racial.

The next thought process was about how I can remedy the insult:

- do I land and lodge a complain with the police
- do I get some of people at the airport to help create a ruckus or an impromptu mob
- do I flip the finger while deplaning
- do I talk to the captain of the aircraft on the ground
- do I write to the chairman of Air France or our Aviation Minister
- do I take this up with some of the media and get some attention, surely I an not the only one who has been treated this way by Air France, it did not look like a first time

But all of these would have gotten me a stock apology at best and maybe arrested if I had gotten a mob going. It surely would have gotten me front page on the news and something that people would have spoken about for a day. But then it stuck me none of these plans would have handled the core of my issue - my Brown skin.

The fundamental issue is people with racial bias operating in markets which they believe don’t need their otherwise polite and social outlook. The issue is of people of brown skin being discriminated only because of the colour of the skin.

For many people, Australia and its Indian bashing seems very far away, Hagen Dazs in Delhi did not refuse us entry so the issue is also that it is not a problem till it happens to us. And happen it must repeatedly for a point to be driven home: these people chose to serve the Indian market, they signed up to operate in the brown part of the world and yet they bring their bias when they come here soliciting our business – be it colleges around the world, countries seeking tourists from here, fast food joints that like to cater to the billion people population and airlines operating full flights from almost all to and fro Indian destination.

Now an idealist in me would say we need to ensure that the likes of Air France does not operate to or from India, why I can also go on to say that I must sue them in local and international courts for everything from discrimination to mental agony. But again it does not ensure that a person of brown skin gets a fair treatment, even on his way back home. Air France will continue to operate and there will be passengers who find it convenient for their travel needs. On speaking with friends and family who have travelled with them in the past – I heard more incidents so it was not just me or it was not going to stop anytime soon.

To say that every brown man around the world will be treated the same way as the others is also very high hopes. Is it too much to expect a service provider serving in my region to people of my ethnicity and colour to treat us as what we are – equals. Is it too much to expect the door man at 5 star hotels to give us a same warm greeting as the one that our international visitors get? Heck I have had warmer receptions in stores and hotels around than what we get subjected to right here at HOME! So it decided like charity, this too must begin at here at home – we need to start treating ourselves the same way we treat people around the world, with warmth and respect.

So here is what I thought was needed:

- a forum of people who have been treated differently because of the colour of their skin – either in a five star hotel in India or by employees of international / local establishments or by just a regular person in a subway train somewhere in the world
- a forum of people for who a stock apology was not the solution, but a fundamental rebooting of people’s outlook to the brown person
- a forum for people to come in and voice their anguish and anger not to create a mob or frenzy but to create awareness that will ensure that people and companies around the world get a better understanding and improved sensitivity while interacting with a persons of different colour
- a forum that creates increased awareness and also provides a voicing board for those who feel they need to vent their anger and ensure it results in proactive action not two lines in the media not 15 minutes of fame
- a forum that will work towards a day that such a forum does not need to exist – we start to fight for equality at home but go on to establish our self respect across the world.

This forum should be open to people of all colours, we don’t believe in discrimination so we don’t live it in our action but this forum is for people to just have an opportunity to say – I am proud to be brown so please treat me the same way you treat the others.

In a time when the whole world looks in our direction in economic awe, in a time when leaders of our nation are held in high esteem in international meets, in a time when the world looks to us to lead as a regional and global power – we are still dished out treatments that reflect the sentiments of an era gone by and have little to no way to address it – it is time to change that!

So feel free to share your experience, feel free to invite your friends who you know have a story to share, if you feel there is a story that you can take corrective actions on – feel free to help. This will soon move to an open platform, need some more help from my tech friends to set up a site that people can contribute to freely.

PS: The author is a resident of India who travels extensively. This post is copyright free and can be reproduced in parts or whole as long as it does not misrepresent the views expressed here. Feel free to start other online forums with the same intent and link it back here if you wish.

23 comments:

  1. Discrimination of any sort is un-acceptable, whether it stems out of a feeling of pseudo-superiority or chauvinistic historical baggage. But in many cases the aggrieved is as responsible as the offender. The collective apathy towards such actions in the past gives way for future recurrences.

    I am proud to be brown, but it is also a fact that I am a hypocrite. In some form, we still carry that historic inferiority which we might never accept. Why does a white man endorsing any Indian product (Yoga , Bollywood or anything else for that matter) make us proud. Why do we give so much importance to what the west feels.

    Let me illustrate another scenario. While at work, any issues raised by foreign customers are given first preference by us. Its not because they pay us more or we feel we are inferior. Its because we know, if its not handled well and in time, the issue is going to be escalated. This is because, such customers are aware of their rights and demand that. Do we know or realise our rights and if we do, do we demand that. The perpetrator knows that they can get away with it and that doesn't help. If an American student was attacked in Australia, you can imagine what the US response would have been. So unless we respond, we will have to take this crap.

    I dont suggest we retaliate, but respond we should. The wrong-doers have to be pulled up. We are no banana republic that the world can coerce us. Its time we start exercising some of our might individually and collectively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, what has been narrated is the very essence and centarl theme of AF Staff when dealing with Indian passangers. I have very personal experience of a very similar and crude behaviour from a female staff on board a flight from Bangalore to Paris some 3 years ago. The initial part of them feigning nonrecipt of meal request etc. was all similar except the end part was somewhat diffrent. The lady( was she really one ? does she merit this description? ) came near my seat - note just near and not close enough to serve - and she chose to throw the packet with a grunt "here you go - your meal " Upon being called back with a stern voice and asked as to what she did the reply was "oh it slipped from my hands"that was it - no sir. no sorry but a mere statement !!

    But unfortunately my resolve to rake up an issue got blown away upon my meeting a male purser in the next leg to USA. He was an out and out Indophile and showed me his personal photo-album with pictures of Meenakshi temple, Mahabalipram temples and a host more across the breath and width of India - all taken by him and many taken by others with him in the frame - a veritable mini National Geography!

    His apology and sincere love and respect expressed melted my resolve to lodge that complaint.

    But recently there have been cases of Indian passengers who were delayed at Paris airport being denied basic amenities and treated like slaves or animals and they were reported widely in the print and visual media. But was there any effect? It appears that AF acts like a buffalo in the rain - nothing affects them or reaches between the ears.

    Every potential passenger should remember this attitude of AF Staff and make a considered choice as to whether they are prepared to be treated like some not-so-dry s+++ or would like to be treated better by other airlines like Lufthnasa or Britishair who have almost similar connections and frequency of flights.

    I for one stopped toching AF since then and have taken other European carriers at least 6/7 times since then.

    Choice is yours !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good that you brought up this topic. This needs to be widely publicised.

    You should lodge a complaint immediately and copy to the highest level of AF Management.

    You should also involve the French Ambassador so that he knows how Indians feel about the French National Airline.

    Unless our experiences with the French gets accross, things will worsen and atrocities will continue.

    On a different but related note, France has banned wearing of Scarves by Muslim students quoting ban on display of religious symbols and religion being a private affair etc., How about banning habit wearing by Christian Nuns? Why would a country which talks of Liberty and Freedom, have such narrow minds?

    May the French mind be liberated.

    Zaman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Article 14 of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination

    Overview of procedure
    Article 14 of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms Racial Discrimination establishes a procedure that makes it possible for an individual or a group of persons claiming to be the victim of racial discrimination to lodge a complaint with the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination against the State concerned. This may only be done if the State is a party to the Convention and has declared that it recognizes the competence of CERD to receive such complaints.
    States that have made the declaration may also, pursuant to the Convention, establish or indicate a national body competent to receive petitions from individuals or groups who claim to be victims of violations of their rights and who have exhausted other local remedies. Only if petitioners fail to obtain satisfaction from the body indicated may they bring the matter to the Committee's attention.

    In the Programme of Action adopted by the Second World Conference to Combat Racism and Racial Discrimination in 1983, States were asked to make access to their national procedures for dealing with complaints of this kind as easy as possible. The procedures should be publicized and victims of racial discrimination should be helped to make use of them. The rules for making complaints should be simple, and complaints should be dealt with promptly. Legal aid should be available to poor victims of discrimination in civil or criminal proceedings and there should be a right to seek reparation for damages suffered.

    The procedure for consideration of communications received by CERD from individuals or groups claiming to be the victims of a violation of the Convention came into operation in 1982, by which time 10 States parties had declared that they accepted the Committee's competence in that regard. The Committee brings such communications confidentially to the attention of the State party in question, but does not - without its consent - reveal the identity of the individual or group claiming a violation. When the State has given an explanation of its views and perhaps suggested a remedy, the Committee debates the matter and may make suggestions and recommendations, which are transmitted both to the individual or group concerned and to the State party

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting topic. I am not a regular blogger and this one grabbed my attention, enough to figure out how to type in a response. I travel internationally at least 4 times a year for the last 20 years. I have never, ever faced any discrimination from airline crew, at least not any blatant discrimination as you have described. I believe it all depends on the attitude of the passenger as well towards the crew. I have been on India in-bound and outbound legs and have seen a change in attitude, both from the crew as well as the passengers. The crew does their job by the book without a human touch, and the passengers think that just because they have bought a ticket, it gives them the right to demand any thing they want without offering the basic courtesy to the crew, like saying 'please'. Don't get me wrong - I am proud to be Indian. But it also comes with a degree of embarrassment and tolerance that I have to show towards my fellow countrymen. I have never witnessed the kind of crassness shown by Indians in flights compared to other nationalities. What I mean is that it is more likely for an Indian to be crass than others. Picking noses, elbow out to get a 'feel' of the crews behind, staring at women, leaving toilets unflushed and dirty, and the list goes on. Now this is very evident when there are majority of Indians on a flight. Getting drunk is common, and the worst of all, talking in hindi about other women passengers knowing they wont understand and passing lewd comments. Go on any flight originating from/to India to say Bangkok, Singapore, or Dubai and you will know exactly what I mean. Unless there is a etiquette program made for all Indians, I doubt you will ever see a day when Indians will be given the same respect. Too many bad apples so the crew cant be blamed for not recognizing the good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read with interest the original and also the comments. I am inclined to agree with each of the responses suggested so long as it elicits the desired result - a meaningful and appropriate response.

    I have lived and worked abroad for about 12 years - though this was some 17 years ago - and during the time I have travelled on many internation airlines about 6/7 times a year. As a professional, I had a very successful and rising career graph during those years. However, it always happened that I had a European boss. My experience with westerners is that there is always an undercurrent of racisim with many of them. Many a downright nice people, well behaved and treat a(ny) human being as a human being. Having said that, there are certainly others who have the racist streak predominant in their behaviour. Over the first few years, I found that the best way to deal with them - irrespective of whether they were on an airline, a hotel, a colleague, a subordinate or a boss - is treat them the way they treat you i.e, be nice to the good guys boldy treat the bad guys - demonstrably and without mincing words - worse than they treated you. This called for patience for an objective assessment, boldness and confidence; and I think this worked to get the desired results on most occasions. I think we have to discriminate and assess each occasion/situation independently rather than a stock or overall respense,just as we do with our own people back home. It is difficult to generalise. Where a brown co-passenger did not resquest a service courteously, I did not hesitate to gently point it out in private; many are ignorant of western customs and mannersims and it certainly helps to help them out wherever you can. This is similar to helping out a first time passenger with procedures on customs/ immigration, etc. Having said this, one, as a proud Indian, should not brook discrimination, particularly racial. I am very concious of this and one must respond with pride but in a disgnified and assertive manner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised to find how many of us are willing to be apologists for the majority, (if some are to be believed) of boorish Indian travellers on international flights.
    No, I have never been rude to a flight attendant.
    No, I have never pawed one either.
    No, I haven't passed a lewd remark on any of them or my co-passengers.
    No, I haven't gotten drunk on a flight.
    No, I haven't made unreasonable requests on a flight.
    No, I haven't left the toilet unflushed.
    and No, you may not be prejudiced towards me, just because the guy next to me, happens to be on the same color scale as me, and from the same country and is doing all the things I am not doing.
    Let's stop placing ourselves in the same bracket as all the jokers who think all Muslims are terrorists because most terrorists are muslims.
    For the sake of argument, let's say all Indians are boors on flights, including the old woman who is denied access to a wheelchair because of her inability to use English to ask for one and the overawed, respectful first-timer who addresses the flight attendant as "Sir" and is deliberately not told that he is being served a non-vegetarian meal(yes, I have seen this happen!), and even if you happen to be the one decent Indian around, you deserve to be treated like any paying customer should.
    On a QANTAS flight from Singapore to Mumbai last week, I saw an Australian man brush his teeth in his seat, spit into the sick-bag and shove it below the seat in full view of several crew members with not one objecting. An hour before that, I saw one of the same crew members ask a passenger sitting two rows away from the Aussie to consider turning off "his" reading light, since the Aussie had complained that he couldn't sleep because of the "glare". Needless to say, the boorish Indian reader promptly turned his light off. Colonial Mentality Hangover? probably...
    On another note, suppose a flight crew member is decidedly and repeatedly rude and prejudiced towards me, does that then give me the right to, for example, pass a lewd remark about her colleagues or get drunk on the flight?
    It is time we realized that our culture has nurtured prejudices(caste-creed-regionalism-social class-language-color-Gods-etc.), and therefore, all of us have a heightened tolerance of prejudice in general. But tolerance is not an invitation...
    Let's cut the self-generalization and apologies, if you're a well-behaved airline customer, you deserve as much value for your money as anybody else having paid the same amount, any less should be unacceptable for any reason...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have told them in no uncertain terms that they would be hearing from my lawyer and that they were the rudest, vilest most unsociable crew who had no business tending to the needs of others, I would have raised a ruckus with the authorities (if they even care that is) once I deplaned (not on the plane) and I would have alerted the media. I would also find others who have been similarly treated and get them on TV/in the newspapers. Australia didn't pay any attention to the violence against Indian students until it became a big deal in India. Discrimination, whether it happens within India, or outside India should be met head-on. I would also have taken their names down. I did that once on an airline in the U.S. and got a decent response from the company. Needless to say I never travelled with them again and still urge people not to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't travel European airlines any more precisely for these reasons. I found American and Asian airlines to have better service. I don't see anything that can be done other than boycotting the airlines whose staff misbehave or racist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I dont travel through Europe for this reason, and to some extent, the decision to avoid Europe is easy for me. Since I stay on the West coast of the US, American and Asian (with the exception of Malaysia) airlines have better schedules, service, and inflight entertainment.

    But your question of an apt response is hard to answer. On the one hand, I have spent over 25 years of my life educating myself so that I can achieve things most people cannot---why waste my time quareling with someone who has the mental capacity of a racist? On the other, if we don't stand up, we will land up wasting time dealing with exactly these idiots simply because today's power dynamic puts the racist person over you, no matter how educated you are, and no matter how much more useful you could be to the society.

    I think the only long term solution lies in propospering, personally and as a society in general. By society I mean India obviously. After all, it is a little difficult to expect someone racist to become thoughtful all of a sudden. But like the saying goes, 'if you are rich, you are kind, decent, and you sing well too!'

    Don't be fooled by the rhetoric of human rights for all, it does not exist. We need to earn respect through prosperity, coupled with education at an institutional level---at a personal level we may be well educated, but it counts for nothing.

    Ironically, the rights we earn will be partly because of Benjamin Franklin---not via a 250 year piece of paper but through little new green pieces of paper. And partly via good old Saraswathi---when these racists beg to get into our universities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the next time this happens, turn your iphone to airplane mode, record the proceedings and send it to air france management.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "For many people, Australia and its Indian bashing seems very far away" and then a reply stating that "Australia didn't pay any attention to the violence against Indian students until it became a big deal in India"....stop the uninformed and discriminatory remarks yourselves! I have lived in Australia most of my life and never felt myself to be a target of discrimination, nor do I feel that indian students were targets of discrimination - they were EASY/OPPORTUNISTIC targets, not anti-Indian...

    The blogger who advised about the guy who cleaned his teeth vs someone else being asked to turn off a light - I have seen similar behaviour from flight attendants, but what would you, yourselves, do in a similar situation? Had I been the flight attendant, I would have been 1. shocked that someone would be so disgustingly lazy as to clean teeth in seat and spit into sick-bag 2. I would wonder if actually talking to said disgusting person would make any difference and I may worry that someone capable of such deplorable behaviour would also be capable of behaving very badly or violently if cornered about his behaviour. The flight attendant may well have asked another person to turn off a light, but that was not relative to the incident re: sick-bag unless everything that happens in this world is going to be related to a delusion of anti-Indian/pardesani/gora rant. Yes, there are prejudiced people everywhere, sadly we Indians and NRI's seem to make the biggest distinctions between our own national, religious, caste/social and cultural differences....which is an issue that we need to resolve before blaming others for their own ignorance.

    My family has been welcoming to all my friends, yet I have been treated very badly by the parents and families of some uni friends when I have visited the homes of uni friends (as part of a study group), because I was a "Punjabi" and not Tamil enough!

    If you are affected by discrimination, then act on it, don't just whinge. Write to the airline and media. At the end of the day, the best thing to do it to not give them your money - until you feel that the situation is resolved.

    Often, the way in which we present an argument, or how we present; has a huge bearing on how our argument is perceived - and how the other person will respond. On one flight - tourist class: I complained about gum left on my seat which stuck to my suit - I was given $40 for dry cleaning by the purser; I returned the apple which was bruised and brown (3 times, until we found a good one with help of purser's knife); my cold coffee was returned for a hotter one. I never encountered any bad attitude on that flight, from any flight attendant; when I have encountered "attitude" on some flights, I have observed that the rude attendants were equally rude to all passengers - and have sent video clips of rude behaviour to airlines ......and never seen said attendants again.

    Use your "upper chakras"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. First of all, I'd contact Air France and complain about the rude service. I travelled Delta recently and I noticed some of the male flight attendants gave attitudes to other passengers..but otoh, my companion found some others who were quite personable.

    I can see how they felt they did their job and served you. However, in terms of customer service, no need to be rude or embarrass a customer.

    The biggest lesson for you, my friend is to be a smart traveller. Book your meals 1 week in advance. You'll see it noted on the boarding pass, and we had the flight attendant come to us when we boarded and acknowledged us as special meal plans (she put stickers on our seats).

    What do you mean by this: "In a short while I was served the Hindu Vegetarian meal. Now a Hindu Vegetarian meal is not vegetarian as we would know and the main course contained a meat / fish product."

    If Hindu veg contains meat or fish, it doesn't qualify as veg. Even "western vegetarian" would not contain meat or fish (possibly egg/dairy). What exactly did you end up with?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a very interesting and thoughtful conversation. If you think you were discriminated because of color, go ahead write and express your concern to whoever you think would care - Air France, Press, French Ambassador. Keep on writing until you elicit a response from a party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isnt it ironic that the person blaming Indians 'en-masse' is himself engaging in self-deprecating behavior? Enough said.

    Reality is that boorish people are boorish people. Color doesnt matter.

    Any flying air crew needs to be truly color-blind and maintain their composure. After all they could be called upon in a moment of possible emergency. What then? Whites first?!

    Shame on us for tolerating this behavior and more so for defending it through self-indictment.

    Dont even get me started on Aussie arrogance or Yankee isolationism.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow I am so sorry something like this happened to you. I would maybe talk to a civil rights lawyer to get some advice on how to address such discrimination. If you launched a successful lawsuit, you would hurt Air France where it hurts--their image. (It might even be class action, if enough people come forward.)

    I am going to avoid flying Air France from now onwards, in solidarity with you.

    What is really egregious is your fellow passengers' complacency in quietly enjoying their meals while you were publicly discriminated against. As a brown person, you had a lot to lose if you caused a ruckus on the plane...but there was nothing preventing a fellow passenger from speaking up and saying "that's not right."

    PS. Something similar happened to my uncle while he was traveling on Lufthansa with his two young sons.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maybe you could start a website? airfranceracism.org or something like that?

    You're definitely not alone. Some of the comments on these news stories has me thinking such racism is prevalent.

    http://ceoworld.biz/ceo/2009/05/12/air-france-the-racist-airline
    http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/indians-on-air-france-face-night-of-trouble/458355/
    http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/discrimination-charge-travel-agents-write-to-air-france/458880/

    Just google "air france racism"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just keeps going

    http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story/41522/Headlines%20Today%20Top%20Stories/Indian+passengers+allege+racism+on+Air+France.html

    http://www.deccanchronicle.com/national/air-france-racism-row-874

    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Air-France-faces-racial-abuse-charges-again/articleshow/4590326.cms

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely unacceptable way of treating a passenger by any air line and I am appalled by the rude behavior of Air France crew...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahem!!
    I have flown AF many a times, domestically (within France) and internationally {US/India/EU/South America} and have yet to personally experience a rude or indifferent behaviour from the flight crew. I must admit, I do have an edge than the average back-of-the-plane boor/oogler. I have an elite status,I invariably get upgraded to L'Espace Première internationally. A few key things to note in any airline.

    1. The flight crew is not your waiter in the air.
    2. If you have a restricted dietary requirements, please confirm at booking, at checkin and as you are entering the plane.

    When I was a young pup, starting my traveling, I had many a flights in the back and in middle-seat; I never had an issue with flight attendants and their service. You get a lot more with honey than vinegar :)

    I know folks in the airlines, and the flip-side of the coin is; long hours, low pay, and abuse. I have found polish groups abusive in LOT flights, Brits on any flight going to the city for the next FA Cup or Euro Cup game ;-), Russians drunk in any flight :-) etc, The list goes on. Part of the problem lies with the behavior in a group. A single or a duo would not act as they would as a larger group.

    I think there are essentially two classes of passengers {Irrespective of race,color,gender, and class of service} Frequent-Flyers/Road warriors and occasional travelers. Frequent flyers know the drill, have all their ducks-in-the-row, and normally the flight attendants know who they are from the manifest. The occasional traveler(s) on the other hand, do not conform to unwritten norms of decorum; which vary from airline, country and flight.

    Incidents happen, nerves are frayed, and unruly behavior of passengers brings out the dark side of the flight attendants.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete